While running this website and promoting my books, I gather some Personally Identifiable Information (PII) from people. This page explains what I collect, what I do with it, and your rights are.
What do I collect?
I deliberately collect very little PII:
– The software that runs my website collects some usage statistics, but this information is anonymous.
– If you sign up to my newsletter (on this website, via facebook, at a convention, etc), I collect your name and email address for the purpose of contacting you periodically about science fiction and fantasy, in particular about my work. The software I use to send out emails tracks basic statistics about newsletters I send out (whether you opened the email, how you accessed it (web browser, mobile app, etc) and if you clicked on any of the links). I use this to understand what content people are most interested in and improve future emails.
– If you order a copy of one of my books from my publisher directly, I may receive your name and email address for the newsletter. If you purchase one of my books from any other source (bookstore, amazon, etc) I do not receive any PII.
– If you enter one of the newsletter give-aways I occasionally participate in, you are required (as part of the entry form) to give explicit permission for me to send you emails. Again, I only collect your name and email address.
– If you contact me with any kind of enquiry or other communication, I will retain a copy of those messages, but I do not add you to my newsletter list unless you explicitly ask me to in the communication.
In addition to the information I collect from you (name and email), I add a flag to record where / how you signed up for the email list.
That’s it. I don’t process payments through this website, so I don’t collect or store any kind of payment data. I run an email list and that is really the only PII I store.
What do I do with the data?
I use it to send periodical emails, normally as part of my author newsletter. I try to limit these emails to no more than once per month, though occasionally I might send additional messages if there is a special announcement.
I don’t sell the data. I don’t give it away. I take reasonable steps to ensure your data is secured. I do use a third-party service to manage my email newsletter, and as part of that I save you details in that service. I only use reputable service providers to do this.
What are your rights?
The data I collect about you is yours. You can:
– Request to review the data I have on you.
– Ask me to correct the data if you find an error.
– Unsubscribe from my emails.
– Ask to be “forgotten”.
If you would like to request any of the above, you may email me: email@example.com.
What’s the difference between unsubscribing and being forgotten?
If you unsubscribe, you will no longer receive emails from me. However, that doesn’t mean your details have been deleted. Your email address would still be in the database with an “unsubscribe” flag set. This helps ensure you are not accidentally re-subscribed at a later date. If you are “forgotten”, you data is permanently deleted from my records as if I’d never collected it.