I’ve just discovered something rather concerning when trying to compare two versions of a document managed in a SharePoint Online document library – the versioning functions seem to be somewhat broken.
All the versions are displayed when I open version history, so for now I assume all the data is safe. However, I can’t do anything with previous versions of my documents. Specifically, the following seems broken:
- Comparing two versions of a document in Word.
- Downloading a previous version of a document from SharePoint.
- Restoring a previous version of a document on SharePoint.
- Troubleshooting restoring a previous document on SharePoint.
More details below — I’ll update this post if I find answers.
UPDATE 11/07/2016: I’ve just re-tested this issue (as I have done so periodically since putting up the post) and have found the issue seems to be (mostly) resolved:
- From version history I can now open previous versions and successfully restore previous versions.
- From within a word document I can use the compare button to automatically compare to the last major or minor version.
- From within a word document I still cannot compare to a specific version I select – the selection window loads but never populates.
Comparing two versions of a document in word
When working with documents stored in SharePoint, word provides integrated version comparison options – with a click of your mouse on the review tab you can compare your currently open version with:
- The last major version.
- The last version (major or minor).
- A specific version you select.
All three functions currently seem to be broken.
Selecting “major version” or “last version” brings up a message box for “retrieving version history” and then sits there until you eventually realise it isn’t working.
Selecting “specific version” brings up a dialogue to select the version from SharePoint you would like to compare to, but the list is never populated:
Downloading previous version of a document from SharePoint
You used to be able to bring up the version history of a document in a SharePoint library, select the version you wanted, and download the file. That option seems to have completely disappeared.
Restoring previous versions of a document on SharePoint
Fairly important to version control — restoring an earlier version of a document to become the new current version. This seems to be broken; when I attempt to restore a version I get the following error message:
Troubleshooting restore failure
The icing on the cake? When I click on the “troubleshoot issues” link above I get another error message.
What gives Microsoft?
I’ve run some Google searches and can’t find any posts already reporting this problem. It’s possible something has gone wrong with our instance, or the document libraries I have been working on. I’ll be doing some further investigation and testing of that to rule it out.